It looks like I'm turning into a repeat offender with my Scatterbrain quilts. After I completed No. 2 for Patty, I had an inkling that my crazy quilts were going to pop up again. My newest Scatterbrain Quilt, No.3, was made as a belated Mother's Day gift for my mom, which explains why it has been the most time-consuming (about three weeks from start to finish) of the three.
Being the crafty rolling stone that I am, I wanted to mix up my process for this project. First off, I opted to piece the quilt top in the traditional manner and forgo the QAYG method. I wanted to do all-over free motion quilting, mainly in order to give large-scale FMQ a go on my new Juki.
|using all my oddly-shaped scraps|
Second, I resolved to make this a true scrappy quilt by using only fabric from my scrap bins. I tend to cut into my stash out of laziness more often than I should. It's easier and faster to cut a nice neat 8 inch square out of a fat quarter than it is to rummage through my bins and piece together a bunch of tiny little scraps to get that same 8 inch finished square. Seeing how this quilt was for my mom though, I was willing to take the time and make the effort to use all those little pieces.
Scatterbrain Quilt No.3 was primarily an improv quilt. My previous two quilts employed a loose pattern (*Capt. Barbarossa voice* More like guidelines really!) that were 50% pre-planned blocks, 50% improv QAYG blocks to fill in the blanks. This time, I only planned a few blocks (liek the envelope, the green star in the lower right corner, and the hexie block). A few were semi-planned, like the white star on the postage stamp and the heart in the center. I didn't know I was going to do those blocks when I started the quilt, but the idea came to me somewhere in the interim. I avoided planning anything simply due to the scrappy nature. It's hard to make a detailed plan when you don't know what tools you have to work with!
|My mom's favorite part is Crafty Chloe by Heather Ross|
For the quilting, I did simple meandering loops. My Juki, Brienne, preforming beautifully! I had an afternoon of agony a couple weeks ago while working on my mini quilt for the Schniztle and Boo swap (need to blog about that closer to mailing time) thanks to a new FMQ foot, but since I got that hiccup ironed out, it's been smooth sailing! The auto-tension eliminated about 50% of my FMQ frustrations, as I could never seem to get my tension just right with Broseph. Broseph's foot pedal also felt freaking hyper-sensitive which made it hard to keep a steady speed. I would apply a teensy bit more pressure in a effort to speed up gradually, and I might as well have set him to warp speed! The sudden burst of speed would always catch me off-guard and result in some ugly heart attack in the middle of a smooth curve. Brienne has none of that herky-jerky nonsense and can keep a steady pace without issue.
|lovely loopy quilting|
|top it off with a simple label|
Name: Scatterbrain Quilt No.3
Size: 44 x 52"
Fabric: Every dang scrap I had.
Quilting: Meandering loops
Completed: June 7, 2014